Saturday, December 28, 2013

Multitasking and Me: A Love/Hate Relationship

I sit here cross-legged in a big comfy chair downstairs in my living room as I type this blog post. My cell phone is somewhere in my room (I honestly haven’t looked at it in a few hours), and I am wondering how in the world does a 14-year-old girl sends and receives 27,000 texts in one month. It’s astounding! Allison Miller has accomplished this amazing feat by texting at every opportunity: between classes, after soccer practice, and basically any other time a cell phone is allowed to be in her hand. Miller claims to be able to hold up to seven different conversations at once. Apparently she can even talk to one friend on her phone as she is texting another one.

I can barely listen to Pandora while working or reading without getting too distracted much less being able to hold conversations (either virtual or physical) with others. I can barely text and walk at the same time and have had to put more than one real life conversation on hold because texting and talking is simply impossible. Clearly multitasking is not one of my strong suits. I simply get too absorbed in whatever I am doing and forget that anything in the world exists beyond my current activity. Even when I try to multitask, once I make the move from the first activity to the second, I inevitably end up finishing the second activity regardless of what the first activity was. I just hope I actually remember to go back and finish any remaining activities.

While I lament my inability to perform more than two things at once, there are some perks.  By only concentrating on one activity at a time, I feel that I am able to finish it at a faster pace. I think I also am better equipped to retain information from whatever I just did and have a better chance of actually learning from my experience. Even though these reasons may be trite or cliché, they are nonetheless true and I am better person, student, and worker for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment