Saturday, January 11, 2014

A World Without Internet

Reading all of these articles about how the Internet and social networking has enormously impacted out society and how we interact with each other, I began to wonder what a world without the Internet would be. Even though I did not have Internet or a computer for a decent portion of my childhood, I find this very difficult to picture this Internet-less world.

It seems that online or virtual dating would still be a thing though maybe not as popular. In 1879 a fictional book was published entitled, Wired Love. This novel was about two telegraph operators from distant towns who have connected over telegraph wires over an extended period of time. Besides the focus on ridiculously outdated equipment like a telegraph, this sounds exactly like something that could happen today either using a dating website, live video gaming, or a number of other social media outlets.

It seems like it would almost be nice to live in a world without Internet (there would have to be a few pros compared to the hundreds of cons if this was in fact a real thing). I feel like I would be immensely more productive with my day and be able to focus on school work a lot more than I do currently. I would have more face to face or phone conversations with friends and family.

Even with these benefits though there is one thing that is too great a thing to even contemplate the Internet not being around anymore. That thing is the vast amount of information that is available literally at a click of a button. My friend who goes to school in the Midwest informed me that Lancaster County, PA (our home county) has a higher population than the entire state of Wyoming. I immediately googled the populations of each area and found out my friend was wrong, though not by much. Thinking about how easy that lame fun fact was to research and verify made me think of how in the world people learned anything even 20 years ago. How would people find the current population of Wyoming? You can’t necessarily trust your printed encyclopedia since most of the time the publication year was far older than is trustworthy. Where would you find the year to year and decade to decade census information?


While people did somehow learn where to find the answers to any of these questions, I think my biggest question is where did people find the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment