Thursday, January 16, 2014

Online Learning: Good or Bad?

           I think online learning has its pros and cons. For non-traditional students, I think completely online classes are great and can be incredibly convenient and helpful to those taking the course. One of my friend’s sisters has actually begun the process of obtaining her master’s degree in education. Being a mother of four young children, an online class that she was able to take her time with and complete at her own pace was really the only way she was able to do it. Online learning also can save students a lot of money, since online schools are much cheaper than regular colleges or universities.
           I would say, however, that even with these obvious benefits to online learning, there are still some disadvantages. For traditional college students going to college is about so much more than taking classes and earning a degree. For most, it is the first time they are on their own and able to be somewhat independent from their parents. College is about making lifelong connections with friends or professors. College is a time for making mistakes and learning about life and yourself not just your major. Because of this, I would not recommend exclusive online learning for most. This is also why that regardless of how popular online learning becomes, I don’t think it will ever really replace the popularity of regular universities.
            In regards to whether or not I would consider taking another online course, I would say yes. I had a great experience with this one and really enjoyed the flexibility of the course. I was still able to enjoy my break, work, and see my friends. Online classes are extremely worthwhile especially if you are taking a class outside the fall and spring semesters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment